Modellers are welcome to join the BMFA either as members of an affiliated club, or as individuals. Read the list below to decide which category suits you best, then use the printable application form and fees list (in PDF format) to enable you to apply for membership.
Membership fees run from 1st January to 31st December. Reduced fees are payable depending on when you join and you can read the latest fees on the application form.
1) Affiliated MEMBERSHIP of the BMFA is open to clubs consisting of not less than five persons All current club members must be registered with the BMFA as fully paid up individual members and at least one of them must be a full senior member
2) FULL INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP as a senior is available to all model flyers over 18 years of age on the 1st January of the year of membership. Those younger than this are called Juniors but have full membership status
3) COUNTRY MEMBERS. Individual membership is open to applicants not belonging to an affiliated club, such members being known as Country Members.
4) FELLOWSHIP AND HONORARY MEMBERSHIP are two different classes of membership which are awarded to a few people in cases of special merit. Fellowship is, in fact, the highest honour awarded by the Association and is awarded to a maximum of two people each year by the Annual General Meeting.
5) FAMILY MEMBERSHIP is available to families living at the same address.
To qualify for Family membership, one full Senior member must register as Head of Family; a spouse/partner and all children under 18 years old can then register as Family members at a reduced fee.
6) SCHOOLS AND YOUTH GROUP MEMBERSHIP is open to bona-flde school model flying clubs and clubs organised by recognised youth organisations such as the ATC or the Scouts. The minimum number of club members is one individual senior and four reduced rate juniors. The juniors need not be named and their membership fee will be one third the current junior fee rounded to the nearest pound.
This gives the club full affiliated membership of the BMFA and at General meetings such clubs carry one vote. For the senior member and one vote for every three reduced rate juniors subject to a minimum of five votes
Any reduced rate junior may become a full member of BMFA by paying the full junior membership fee. Any such junior carries one vote at General meetings and is not disqualified from membership of their group. See also the section on insurance.
7) MEMBERSHIP PERIOD. The normal period of membership shall be from 1st January to 31st December in each year. Applications for membership which are approved after 1st September in any year shall have a proportion of the fee paid credited to the following year. Each year at the Annual General Meeting the membership fee will be agreed.